The Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) is taking proactive action for the 2018 summer spraying season to reduce the likelihood of spray drift damage.
New instructions on the use of 2,4-D products have been issued, taking effect immediately.
The new instructions include:
- a requirement not to spray in inversion conditions and additional information on recognising inversion conditions;
- downwind mandatory no spray zones for both aquatic and terrestrial off target vegetation (including sensitive crops, gardens, landscaping vegetation, protected native vegetation or protected animal habitat);
- a requirement to use nozzles producing droplets no smaller than the Very Coarse spray quality category;
- mandatory record keeping requirements; and
- advisory statements about spray application over summer.
The new instructions are available on the APVMA website.